Sofie Lilikoi Fox

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lex Logan

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

March 26, 2010

Is She Really a Disability?

Tonight will be my last night at work. I will be going to medical leave. I always thought I would work up to my due date, but that was before I got a job with UPS. Here at UPS I have the option to take ‘disability’ leave. My provider gives me a letter with restrictions, things like: no lifting or moving objects weighting over 25lbs, no climbing stairs repeatedly, should avoid prolonged strenuous activity including prolonged standing. All of these things I do, and much more.

The number one reason I wished to go on leave is not because of these activities, but because of the jet and vehicle fumes. Oh and the fact that I am having trouble being in the bellies of the aero planes. And it gets really really hot in the summer time, sure I work at night, but all the concrete just soaks and holds that heat. And the bellies get really hot. Unless of course you are in the belly of a 757 and they forgot to turn the air off. The flip side to that is it sucks in the winter, because that air is always cool. Sometimes the pilots will get to the aero plane and turn the top side air on right away, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they get to the plane fifteen minuets before we push, then we are done with the hard part and there is no time to enjoy the cool air, much less stop working long enough to get cool. Just to make a point here, I do not like working in heat, heat where if I were to be standing still, doing nothing I would feel sweat tricking down my butt crack. Oh, one more thing, I have found that after working top side, if I press my body and face up against the side of the plane, it’s so nice because the plane is always cold for some reason. Any one who reads this who works at UPS, try it!

No comments: